SASS Wild West Christmas
The Single Action Shooting Society's Wild West Christmas takes place December 4-8, 2013 in beautiful Branson, Missouri.
Hocking Earns AHS Board Seat
Doug Hocking has been elected to a 3-year term as a board member for the Southern Chapter of the Arizona Historical Society representing Cochise County. The Arizona Historical Society has museums in Tucson, Flagstaff, Yuma and Tempe. Congratulations, Doug!
O'Neal Earns Collegiate Honors
WWHA member Bill O'Neal has received an honorary doctorate from Texas A&M University and has had a college dormitory named for him at Panola College. Read about these proud accomplishments in the Member News section of our Membership Page.
WWHA & the Military Channel
The Military Channel has selected WWHA as a source for their new program, "Gunslingers," due out at the end of this year, beginning of next. The following members will be featured:
Stay tuned for details!
WWHA Journal Back Issues
Misplace a copy of your Journal? Want extra copies for friends? Need a Journal from before you joined the WWHA? We have several back issues available! See our Membership page for details.
Roadin' With TRUE WEST
The July 2013 edition of True West magazine goes "On The Road With" WWHA members Michael Wallis and John Boessenecker. Elsewhere in the issue, Casey Tefertiller reveals "What History Taught Me." Check your newsstand now.
More Members in WILD WEST
The August 2013 issue of Wild West magazine is brimming with WWHA members. There is an interview with member Ann Kirschner by fellow member Candy Molton. There are articles by members Jim Pettengill and Doug Hocking. Members Linda Wommack and Lee Silva have their regular departments. Seems like our members just can't stay out of the media! If you're not a WWHA member, why not? Join now!
2013 Board Members
We're proud to announce the addition of Tom Todd and Roy Young to the WWHA Board of Directors. Get to know your entire 2013 WWHA Board here.
Bob Paul Bio Now Available
WWHA member John Boessenecker's new biography, When Law Was in the Holster: The Frontier Life of Bob Paul, has been released.
New Book Review (02 Dec)
Linda Wommack digs into Christie Wright's South Park Perils: Short Ropes & True Tales of Historic Park County, Colorado
New Book Review (15 Sep)
Steven Wright reviews Season of Terror: The Espinosas in Central Colorado, March – October 1863, the first non-fiction book by novelist-turned-historian and WWHA member Charles F. Price. Read this fine review here.
Did You Know?
WWHA has two official state historians as members: Marshall Trimble of Arizona and Bill O'Neal of Texas. That's a lot of Western history!
WWHA Facebook Page
Be sure to check out WWHA's Facebook page. There is a lot of activity between members posting old photos, gun talk, books and news about WWHA.
Catch a Code
Scan our QR code to load us in your mobile browser
Welcome to the WWHA
"But the West of the old times, with its strong characters, its stern battles and its tremendous stretches of loneliness, can never be blotted from my mind."
The Wild West History Association is dedicated to providing publications and forums for the enlightenment and enjoyment of its members, facilitating and encouraging research, study, writing, presentation, and preservation of the history and lore of the people, events, and places that made the American West "wild" in the last half of the nineteenth century.... the lawmen, outlaws, gunfighters, rustlers, vigilantes, feuds, shady ladies, saloons, cowtowns, and mining camps.... along with recognizing and honoring those individuals and institutions that make significant contributions to the knowledge and preservation of Wild West history and lore.
AWARDS NOMINATIONS REQUESTED
DEADLINE – February 28, 2014
We are pleased to announce the 2014 WWHA Awards Program. These awards are intended to recognize and honor those who have contributed the most to research, writing, and service to the history of the Wild West. Nominations are due by February 28, 2014. Please furnish the name, full address with zip code, phone number with area code, and email address, if applicable, for each person nominated.
Winners will be announced and awards presented at the WWHA Convention in July. Come and celebrate with us!
NOTE 1: In keeping with the WWHA Focus and Goals, the specific subjects eligible for consideration are “Lawmen, Outlaws, Gunfighters, Rustlers, Vigilantes, Shady Ladies, Frontier Scouts, Buffalo Hunters, Feuds, Cattle Trails, Cowtowns, and Mining Camps.” The core time period is from 1850 to 1925, but may begin earlier or carry over later. Nominated works outside these subjects will not be considered.
NOTE 2: In an effort to recognize and encourage new authors, the winners of literary awards (both books and articles) must not have won in the same category in the previous year.
I. WWHA Award for Lifetime Contributions to Wild West History
● This award is given to an individual who, over an extended period of time (suggested 25+ years), has contributed significantly to the field of research and documentation of Wild West history.
● The nomination must be made by a WWHA member.
● The nomination should be in typed format with a thorough discussion of why the nominee should be recognized, including citing of research, published books or articles, memberships in Western History organizations, and any other specific acts to confirm nominee’s extensive activities.
● The nomination must be signed by the nominator.
II. WWHA Award for Best Book on Wild West History - $500.00 CASH PRIZE!
● Submission may be made by a WWHA member, the author or the publisher.
● The book must have been published in 2013.
● Subject matter should be for the core period from 1850-1925, but can begin earlier or carry over after this time period.
● Nominated books will be judged on the basis of content, accuracy, readability, and overall presentation of material (including but not limited to: historical photographs, documents, newspaper accounts of the time, military records, court records, diagrams, charts, etc.) and quality of editing (typos, image, cover design, layout, table of contents, index, end notes and bibliography).
● Three copies of each book should be submitted for review by the panel.
III. WWHA Award for Best Article on Wild West History - $250 CASH PRIZE!
A. Scholarly and/or Historical Articles
● The award will recognize an author whose article was published in a recognized Old West/Western History magazine or newspaper (other than the WWHA Journal) during 2013.
● The nomination must be made by a WWHA member, the author, or the publisher.
● The entry for this award will be judged on subject matter, content, accuracy, readability, and overall presentation of material (i.e. photos, newly discovered records or other data, newspaper accounts, military records, court or state records, etc. and list of sources and bibliography).
● Three copies of each article plus the cover page (photocopy acceptable) of the periodical showing date of publication should be submitted.
B. General Article
● Articles published in commercial Western History magazines, not requiring listing of sources and bibliography, but would be appreciated.
IV. WWHA Award for Best WWHA Journal Article - $250 CASH PRIZE!
● This award will recognize an author whose article was published in the WWHA Journal for the previous year.
● All articles published in the WWHA Journal during 2013 will be considered for this award.
● The article for this award will be judged on subject matter, content, accuracy, readability, and overall presentation of material (i.e. photos, newly discovered records or other data, newspaper accounts, military records, court or state records, etc. and a list of cited sources).
V. WWHA Award for Outstanding Contribution to Wild West History
(Two Awards): Individual, and Corporate/Organization
● The award is to recognize other contributions (non-literary) to Wild West history, including art work, films, recordings (CDs, videos, etc.) or events.
● There is no time limit on when this contribution was made.
● The nomination must be made by a WWHA member, the creator, or the distributor.
● Three copies of the item or written discussion of the event must be submitted for judging purposes.
VI. WWHA Silver Star Award for Meritorious Service to the Association
● This award will be presented by the President, in his/her judgment of the most deserving individual for this recognition based on service to the WWHA.
Mailing Instructions for Nominations
*P.O. Box 118
Lederach, PA 19450-0118
*Send by Media mail & allow for
additional delivery time.
6005 NW 103 St.
Kansas City, MO 64154
Nominations for items I & V should be sent to: Carroll D. Moore,
Awards Chairman, 1664 Sunset Rd., Brentwood, TN 37027, Phone: 615-400-1515 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
© Wild West History Association